Lawrence H. Schiffman is the Judge Abraham Lieberman Professor of Hebrew and Judaic Studies at New York University and Director of the Global Institute for Advanced Research in Jewish Studies. He has served as the Chair of the Skirball Department of Hebrew and Judaic Studies at New York University and Ethel and Irvin A. Edelman Professor of Hebrew and Judaic Studies. Between 2011 and 2014, he served as Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education and Professor of Judaic Studies at Yeshiva University.
He received his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. degrees from the Department of Near Eastern and Judaic Studies at Brandeis University. He is a specialist in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Judaism in Late Antiquity, the history of Jewish law, and Talmudic literature.
Dr. Schiffman was featured in the PBS Nova series documentary, “Secrets of the Dead Sea Scrolls,” four BBC documentaries on the scrolls, a Discovery special, the series “Mysteries of the Bible” (A&E) and “Kingdom of David” (PBS) and other documentaries. He recorded two audio lecture series for Recorded Books, The Dead Sea Scrolls: The Truth behind the Mystique and The Hebrew Bible. He has lectured widely in universities, academic conferences, and for community organizations and is a contributing editor of the Long Island Jewish World newspaper. More recently he served as the academic advisor to the exhibition at Discovery Times Square entitled, The Dead Sea Scrolls: Life and Faith in Biblical Times.
- Reclaiming the Dead Sea Scrolls
- From Text to Tradition, a History of Judaism in Second Temple and Rabbinic Times: A History of Second Temple and Rabbinic Judaism
- Texts and Traditions: A Source Reader for the Study of Second Temple and Rabbinic Judaism
- Sectarian Law in the Dead Sea Scrolls: Courts, Testimony and the Penal Code
- Who Was a Jew?: Rabbinic and Halakhic Perspectives on the Jewish Christian Schism
- Second Temple and Rabbinic Judaism, Lawrence H. Schiffman, Jon Bloomberg, Samuel Kapustin, Ktav Publishing House, 2003.
- Dead Sea Scrolls Foundation, member Board of Directors
- Fellow, American Academy for Jewish Research
- Association for Jewish Studies (President)
- International Organization for Qumran Studies
- Israel Exploration Society